Monday, August 24, 2009

Happy Anniversary - Guild Woes

I really wanted to write about Blizzcon and all the cool things I did there and the things we have to look forward to, but I sat down during lunch today and found out that my guild leaders have decided to quit the game (or at least go on a mega-hiatus that will last for some months). Worse yet, they promoted me as the new guild master. Damn.

Making matters worse, two of the people I had actually met at Blizzcon and shared happy times with have suddenly gotten really cranky about the guild's problems. One has already announced her departure from the guild, and the other will probably leave if he hasn't already.

What a day.

So now I'm at a crossroads, inadverdantly becoming a guild leader when I didn't ask for it (and if you know anything about leading raids you know it's not an enviable position to be in at all). It looks like we may try to get an officer meeting going tonight to discuss what to do.

I don't know if we'll break up, if we'll regroup and recruit, or just start over with a new guild tag. I do know that there are a lot of people who I liked playing with in guild and I hate to see people go. When Bloodlüst broke up last year it was terrible, with ex-members all over the place in different guilds. We kept a private channel running for everyone to log into so we could keep chatting.

The creation of Oporotheca saw our reunion, and it was happy times as many of us came back together under the same guild tag.

Fast forward another year and we're not even sure if we're going to stay together, and it sucks to be put at the helm of a leaky ship. The question is how bad is the leaking and can it be repaired. There are new people I've met, enjoyed playing with, and I'd hate to see leave for other guilds.

I never asked to be an officer. I have a very strong sense of duty, and now that I've been made guild master I know I'm going to feel bad if this guild goes under even if I wasn't the one who set it motion.

I don't know where we're going to go from here, but I know that I won't be able to do this without the other officers. I don't want the burnout that happened to our old GLs to happen to me. If the majority of them are not on board then in all likelihood we'll disband the guild.

4 comments:

Keeva said...

:hugs:

I definitely feel for you, I've been in exactly that position.

I'm about to try to relaunch our guild for the second time (we split at the end of Sunwell, and just short of Yogg) - but this time just for 10 mans, no more hardcore push.

Klepsacovic said...

This isn't intended to help you avoid responsibility, but do you think there's anyone who would be better qualified to lead raids? If so, ask them to lead the raids while you take care of guild stuff. It's best to delegate what you can, at the least to avoid overburdening yourself. Good luck with whatever you end up going.

Hana said...

Thanks, guys. ^_^ We had our officer meeting tonight and we're going to have a short transition period before the guild goes inactive. After talking with them, and quite a few guildies it looks like those who want to stay together and raid are going to reform as a 10-man guild under a different name, while those who want 25-man progression in particular are going to have to move on. No one will be forced out of the guild. We'll see how it goes.

Klep, I wish there was another raid leader for raids, but the fact of the matter is that our two MTs were the primary raid leaders, one of which has just quit the game and the other who has decided to quit raiding altogether. :\

Jong said...

I hope things work out for the best for everyone. My last guild broke up in a similar way, and it was a bummer that we all had to split up.