Saturday, May 23, 2009

I got an Honorable Mention!

My arena team had just finished 3s for the night and we were transitioning our playtime to battlegrounds when one of my guild leaders informed me that the results for Blizzard's Global Writing Content were in.

I'll be honest, I was a bit afraid to look. I mentally psyched myself up to look at a list of names and see that I wasn't on there. And I had the time to do it since my browser was taking its sweet time loading. It's always really slow if WoW is up.

So slow that I tabbed back into WoW in time to see Cursedhoof (my proofreader, and also the only person in the guild to know the title of my story) announce that I'd gotten an Honorable Mention.



There I am, second from the bottom. "By Whatever Means Necessary," my story about a paladin who goes to Northrend in search of his wayward sister, was good enough to merit a mention.

I'm a little disappointed, because I know I slacked off during a period while I was writing this story, wasting time that could have been better spent on composition, and there wasn't nearly enough time for me to finish the in-game research I wanted to do. Looking back I can kick myself for all the time I'd spent goofing off when I could have been writing. Maybe another couple drafts would've made this one a winner.

But that said, it's still rewarding when I think about how many hundreds if not thousands of entries my story had to rise above so that at the end of the day it would still be memorable in the minds of my readers, and thus earn me a place on this list.

I might not have won, but I'm still very encouraged.

It's going to be hard to go to sleep tonight.